Elementary Academic Intervention Services
Academic Intervention Services
WHAT IS IT?
- A state-mandated program to assist students with the literacy skills and math skills necessary to be successful in school and life.
WHO RECEIVES THESE SERVICES?
- Students may qualify for AIS services based on several factors:
- Achievement test scores from previous school years
- Report card grades and classroom performance
- District Assessments
- Teacher Recommendation
HOW ARE THESE SERVICES PROVIDED?
- Pull Out Service (Direct Instruction): Students attend AIS literacy and AIS Math classes taught by the AIS teacher, to further advance their literacy and math skills. Students receive a grade for this class. AIS class allows the teacher to focus and build on specific skills based on the needs of the class.
- Push In-Service (In-direct Instruction): Students do not attend a specific class but are monitored by their English or Math teachers along with the Building Reading Teacher to ensure they are getting what they need to be successful. If the student’s needs cannot be met with this support alone, they are added to an AIS class.
WHO IS THE AIS TEACHER?
- The AIS teachers are New York State certified teacher who have a teaching certification in Math, Literacy or English. They have been trained to work with students who need direct support for their literacy or math skills.
DO STUDENTS RECEIVE A GRADE IN AIS?
- Students receiving AIS support will have comments and grades regarding their progress on five-week reports and report cards.
WHERE DO I FIND INFORMATION ABOUT MY CHILD’S AIS CLASS?
- To find out information about your child’s AIS class please go to their AIS Class Schoology page.