Welcome to Math 8
Mathematics 8 Information & Expectations: 2019-2020
Course Overview: Mathematics 8 will focus on three critical areas:
- Expressions and Equations. This includes modeling an association in bivariate data with a linear equation and solving linear equations and systems of linear equations
- Functions. This includes both the basic concept of a function as well as using functions to describe quantitative relationships.
- Two- and three-dimensional space and figures using angles, congruence, similarity, as well as the Pythagorean Theorem.
Materials: Laptop, Pencils, 3-Ring Binder, Scientific Calculator, Headphones, Agenda
Grading: Grades will be based on the following:
Khan academy: 30%
HOW TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN MATH THIS YEAR
- Be in class!
- Participate, without distracting you/ others
- Complete your assignments
- Try your best and get help when needed
- Make quiz & test corrections
What is Khan Academy
Khan Academy offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom. Their math missions guide learners from kindergarten to calculus using state-of-the-art, adaptive technology that identifies strengths and learning gaps.
What subject will your student use this year?
We will use Eureka Math/ Engage NY (8th grade). There are seven modules that supplement our Math Units throughout the school year.
- Module 1: Integer Exponents & Scientific Notation
- Module 2: The Concept of Congruence
- Module 3: Similarity
- Module 4: Linear Equations
- Module 5: Examples of Functions from Geometry
- Module 6: Linear Functions
- Module 7: Introduction to Irrational Numbers using Geometry
When will students be using Khan Academy?
Students use Khan Academy almost every math class for approximately 20-30 minutes. Students are also encouraged to use Khan academy during study hall as well as at home.
How will students know what to work on?
Each time students log on to Khan academy they can view the “assignments tab” which will show them a list of their current assignments.